Friday, November 16, 2012

Back to the drawing board.

Tonight I feel a deep sense of kinship toward our Pac-12 brethren Washington and Washington State. I share their grief, and they mine.

Things were going along so well early in the second half. We expected Utah to just cruise on to a solid win. But as the lead began to slip away, the team froze up. Everything started to go right for the Hornets. And before we knew it, the game was over and Utah had lost by three.

We've lost a lot of games over the past few seasons, but I haven't felt this pain for a long long time. This was a game I expected to win; a D-1 team I actually expected to beat. I expected my optimism would be validated a little bit tonight. And for thirty minutes it was.

But here I sit alone in the empty arena telling myself we're not alone.  This kind of thing happens to other Pac-12 teams too. It happened to Washington and Washington State this week. And I tell myself Sacramento State seems like a solid team that will win a lot of games and surprise some teams this year. When all is said and done, this won't look like such a bad loss. I hope.

But it feels like a bad loss. And I'm sure I'll feel this way until next Wednesday. Hopefully not any longer than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment