Friday, January 11, 2013

Hector, Jack Gardner and Jio Fontan

What do I have in common with Hector from the Iliad and Jio Fontan?


If you said we're all Trojan Captains, you're correct!


Precisely 80 years ago, I was the captain of the USC basketball team. I played under the tutelage of Coach Sam Barry, with whom I'm honored to join in the Hall-of-Fame. We had a decent team that year and played some memorable games. It was a young team that greatly depended on us upperclassmen -- especially early in the season. Like most of my playing career, I was hampered with injuries that season. I believe that was the year I played through a broken nose.


There will always be a special place in my heart for USC basketball. You can only imagine how excited I am for our Utes to join them in the conference and host them in a key game tomorrow afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment